Cuando el gobierno de Venezuela busca nuevamente un puesto en el Consejo de Seguridad de la ONU, es importante tener en cuenta que, en períodos anteriores, nuestro país tuvo ya un papel importante en el mismo. Muy particularmente se recuerda la actuación de Diego Arria, como Presidente del Consejo y factor importante en la resolución de la crísis de los Balcanes. Recientemente se conmemoraron esos trágicos acontecimientos, con la presencia del Embajador Arria, como invitado especial.Srebrenica rememberedAljazeera.com Magazine10 de julio 200611 years after July 1995 Srebrenica massacre, in which more than 8,000 Bosnian Muslims were killed, about 505 new victims of the crime, the largest mass murder in Europe since World War II and one of the most horrific events in recent European history, had been identified.The bodies of the victims, all Muslim men aged between 15 and 78, were unearthed at the Jaz mass grave, believed to be the biggest mass grave found in the village of Kamenica, near the eastern town of Zvornik.The previously exhumed grave contained some 1,000 victims from the massacre.Hundreds of Muslims, families and friends of the victims, crowded Sarajevo's main street on July 8 to watch the convoy carrying the remains of the newly identified victims, heading for burial.The bodies are to be laid to rest at the eastern Bosnian town's memorial cemetery."The duty of Bosnians is not to allow the world to forget what happened one hour away from Berlin and Paris, in the middle of Europe," Venezuela"s former ambassador to the United Nations Diego Enrique Arria, among the hundreds who lined Sarajevo"s main street on Saturday, told journalists.Honoring the victims of the horrific massacre, 1,000 people, including Muslim member of Bosnia"s tripartite presidency Sulejman Tihic, organised two days ago a march to Srebrenica from the village of Nezuk, some 100 kilometers (60 miles) north, they"re expected to arrive today.The bodies unearthed, according to the team of forensic experts, were identified as Srebrenica Muslims by personal documents found with their skeletons.The victims were initially buried in mass graves, before the Bosnian Serbs moved them to other sites to cover up the massacre.So far 2,500 victims have been identified by DNA analyses.In July 1995, more than 8,000 Bosnian Muslim boys and men were slaughtered by Serbian troops and paramilitaries within six days- The crime"s brutality and scale made it so important that it was cited by Judge Fouad Riad at a trial in The Hague some years later.Among the cases narrated by the Judge and described as "truly scenes from hell written on the darkest pages of human history," "an old man was skewered to a tree by a knife and made to eat the innards of his grandson"."Being there, and seeing so many people executed was terrible," Hurem Suljic, a 55-year-old Muslim who survived the massacre near Karakaj by hiding under a pile of dead bodies, was once quoted by The Washington Post as saying."Anybody who moved or screamed was killed. I was afraid someone could be alive on my back, and if he moved, they would shoot us again. Fortunately, they were all dead."Reporting the crime took place soon after the fall of Srebrenica, but the full extent of the crime"s brutality was uncovered later on when survivors of the massacre told their stories to journalists, diplomats and human-rights activists.According to a detailed reconstruction of events by The Washington Post, there were at least five or six separate massacre sites, where the Serbs buried massive numbers of Muslim men and boys in mass graves.There were also dozens of other places where individual killings took place, according to The Post.