The Americas Report
January 10, 2008
Main News -
Download report (pdf - 346 kb)
- Colombia Captures ELN Leader. Colombia calls for discrete foreign support to hostages. White House expected to offer Colombia FTA.
- Chile: Bachelet reshuffles cabinet.
- Bolivia calms down as political forces reach accord.
- Venezuela: Chávez to push "21st century socialism" in 2008. RCTV reports raging "persecution" against independent press. Inflation closes at 22.5% in 2007. Nine tons of cocaine from Venezuela seized in Lisbon. Venezuela ready for "Strong Bolivar" to tackle inflation. CAF grants USD 50 million loan to Venezuela. Pdvsa cuts payment time for foreign clients. 80 percent of incoming cocaine in Spain goes through Venezuela. Venezuelan oil output down 378,000 bpd in three years. Venezuelans blame government for high crime rates.
- Ecuador speeds up construction of refinery with Venezuela.
- Houses of ALBA hold first international meeting in Perú.
- Argentinean opposition lambastes Kirchner for ties with Chavez.
- Correa Bolsters Ecuadorian Government.