The Americas ReportJanuary 24, 2008Main News :
Download report (pdf - 481 kb)
- IMPORTANT: "Hold Chavez accountable for fueling narco-terrorism." Venezuelan opposition launches pact for unity. Pdvsa debt was USD 16 billion in 2007. Colombian intelligence: Venezuela is providing ammunition to the FARC. Radars detect planes loaded with drug leaving Venezuela. Colombian officer: The FARC and ELN are holding hostages in Venezuela. Chavez: Uribe is a "coward" after comments by US drug Tsar Walters. Venezuela ponders further purchases of Argentinean debt. Opposition leader argues Chávez violated anti-drug law: He consumed coca paste. EU rejects deleting the FARC from black list.
- Ecuador to open trade office in Iran in February. Ecuador President Reshuffles Navy. Ecuador President Reshuffles Navy. Correa Loses Support Again in Ecuador.
- Food supply in Colombia secured.
- FTA between Peru and China ready before APEC 2008 Summit. Peru seeks FTA with European Union. Lima, Peru Stock Market Seriously Affected by Shaky US Economy. Peru plans to sell about $263 million in sol-denominated bonds next month.
- Half Content with Cristina in Argentina. Argentina's economy expanded 9.6 percent in November from a year earlier.
- Mexico will increase aid to farmers. Mexico arrests senior drug cartel member.
- Political crisis deepens in Bolivia.