The Americas ReportFebruary 07, 2008Highlighted Story - "Russia Extends a Helping Hand to Chavez." Main News -
Download report ( pdf - 356 kb)
- Thousands Protest in Colombia and abroad in Anti-FARC Rallies. Incredibly some criticized - opposed marches against FARC. Brazil, France propose to expand group of countries facilitating FARC humanitarian swap. FARC terrorists to free three hostages.
- UN official criticizes use of army to battle drugs in Mexico.
- Revealed: Chávez role in cocaine trail to Europe. Chavez: "Venezuela borders with FARC, not with Colombia. Iran implements $350m worth of projects in Venezuela. US representative requests investigation into Venezuela-Iran oil deal. Chavez could nationalize food companies. US intelligence report points out Venezuela's negative influence in Latin America. Pdvsa's debt to equity ratio at 29.72 percent.
- Former Mexican official spied for Cuba. Mexico: Bush Praises Anti-Drug Effort.
- Peru rules out possibility of exporting natural gas to Chile. Peru to register second highest growth in Latin America, says IADB. Peru claims Venezuela "should not export revolution."
- Nicaragua, US Meet to Bolster Fight against Drug Gangs. Venezuela gives Nicaragua 24 electricity generators, 12 more on the way.
- Referendums in Bolivia in 2008. Bolivia Accuses US Bankrolled "Spies."
- El Salvador: FMLN denies Chávez's funding of electoral campaign.
- U.S. may not be ready for Panama Canal's expansion.