The Americas ReportMarch 07, 2008Highlighted Story - Excerpt on Cuba from the Testimony Before the Committee on Foreign affairs.Main News -NEWS FLASH: BARACK OBAMA MENTIONED IN SEIZED FARC DOCUMENTS.
Download report (pdf - 425 kb)
- Summary of the meeting with President Correa's Envoy with the FARC found in Reyes' laptop.
- ANDEAN CONFLICT: No. 2 FARC Commander Reyes Killed in Gunfight. Chávez's call to Reyes revealed location of FARC camp. Colombia discloses documents linking Chávez to the FARC. Seized Laptop Shows Chavez's - Correa Rebel Ties. Colombia Worried FARC Seek Uranium. The Washington Post: Venezuela and Ecuador rulers are "backers of criminals." Desperate Chávez sends troops, aircraft to border with Colombia. Uribe's charges against Chávez to be revised. Colombia's vice-president denounces alliances. France contacted Reyes.
- OAS doesn't condemn Bogotá - Colombia acted in self-defense. OAS: Ecuador, Colombia reach agreement on resolution.
- Bush told Uribe the US is to back democratic allies.
- Nicaragua severs ties with Colombia.
- Pdvsa is "reengineering" its finances to avoid sanctions. Pdvsa customers making payments through Central Bank account in Switzerland.
- OPEC backs Venezuela in legal dispute with Exxon Mobil.
- Investigation requested into alleged Venezuelan ideological infiltration in Peru.
- Argentinian President goes to Venezuela to show support for Chavez. Argentina suitcase scandal: Kauffman pleads GUILTY.
- People's Party: The Spanish government