The Americas Report
March 20, 2008
Highlighted Story - "Chavez's early ties with the FARC and the ELN."
Download report (pdf - 381 kb)
- Bush: FARC-Chávez links are stronger than we thought.
- Court unfreezes Pdvsa's oil assets. Business sector urges government to define trade policies at the Venezuela-Colombia border. Venezuelan oil exports down 192,000 bpd in 2007. Venezuela: Capital flight reaches record. Chávez prepares meeting with Uribe and visit to Brazil. Venezuelan oil production down 9,300 bpd in February.
- Peru reveals Chávez's meddling in region. Peru claims interference of pro-Chávez groups is notorious. Presidents of China, Peru Meet in Beijing. Peru arrests 2 carrying $150,000 over Ecuador border, suggests Venezuelan link.
- Venezuela denies "Bolivarian mega-embassy" in Bolivia.
- FARC Cash found in Costa Rica.
- Antonini in Argentina paid for dinner for officials involved in suitcase scandal.
- OAS: Insulza's report ratifies that Colombia violated Ecuadorian sovereignty.
- Mexico willing to restore ties with Venezuela.
- Iran to build $230 million hydroelectric dam in Nicaragua.