The Americas Report
March 27, 2008
Highlighted Story :
"The US must be able to Identify and support forces of Democracy and geo-political stability in Latin America." By Luis Fleischman.*
Main News -
- Colombia: Uribe has proof that Ecuadorian killed during raid was FARC member. Colombia says FARC continues attacks from Ecuador.
- Chávez: Colombian Santos is "a minister for war." Venezuela's Chavez wary of McCain, says he seems 'man of war.' Chávez expects to improve relations with the US. London court: Pdvsa failed to meet agreements with Exxon Mobil. Pdvsa to face Netherlands court. Exports to Colombia still frozen, say Venezuelan exporters.
- Peru Says Chavez Funding Overthrow their Government. Peru steps up border patrol with Colombia. Peru government slams independence moves by Puno.
- Correa warns Ecuador-Colombia tension could worsen.
- Argentina: Farmers continue strikes.
- IAPA to assess press freedom in Venezuela, Cuba, and Bolivia.
- Bomb blast rips through Chilean bank building, no one hurt.
- Venezuela's Chavez Visits Brazil.