The Americas Report
April 17, 2008
Highlighted Story: The FTA with Colombia: the Political Dimension
Main News -
- Bush Expresses Disappointment over US-Colombia Trade Deal.
- Venezuelan Government launched its socialist production model. Venezuela the major arms importer in Latin America. Tax on windfall oil income effective immediately. Venezuela needs USD 2.74 billion to complete nationalization.
- OAS' Insulza: There is no evidence of Venezuelan support to terrorists.
- Argentinian Techint asks Mrs. Kirchner to advocate "national capital." Argentinian entrepreneurs question businesses in Venezuela.
- Chile and China call for closer bilateral cooperation.
- Brazil and Russia to build jet fighter and satellite launch vehicles. Brazilian minister to talk in Venezuela about defense issues. Brazil official cites giant oil-field discovery.