The Americas ReportMay 01, 2008Highlighted Story - "Change but More of the Same in Cuba." Main News -
Download report ( pdf - 308 kb)
- US leaves Venezuela out of the list of countries that sponsor terrorism.
- Argentinian economy minister resigns. Smoke chokes Argentina's capital. Argentina's country risk reaches highest since June 2005.
- Excellent article: Friends of Terror in Peru. Peru's congress rejects European Parliament's MRTA terrorist group decision.
- France pushes for FARC hostage release.
- Cuba to Raise Pension Payments, Some Government Worker Salaries.
- Major blackout hits most regions in Venezuela. Chávez threatens to expropriate Sidor. Venezuelan Congress declares Sidor a public utility. Pdvsa is not transparent according to report. Belarus to help build socialist towns in Venezuela. Venezuela's inflation takes off. Newborn 2D Movement wants referendum results to be observed.
- Colombia: most wanted "drug lord" killed.
- Brazil: Colombia's FARC will be met with bullets.
- Thousands Protest Mexico Energy Reform Plan.
- Laptop reveals ties to leading member of National Assembly in Ecuador.