The Americas Report
May 22, 2008
Highlighted Story - "The United States needs to stand with Colombia."
Main News -
- CEO Letter to Congress on Colombia FTA.
- Pentagon concedes a US plane over flying Venezuelan air space.
- Chávez Seizes Greater Economic Power. Iranian-Venezuelan bank organized by law. Venezuela and China boost ties with refinery deal. Pdvsa seeks USD 3.5-billion loan from Japan. ALBA plans to drill oil at the Orinoco Belt.
- Peru, Brazil to build $2 billion hydroelectric plant.
- Ecuador's state oil company president resigned.
- Chile's Bachelet welcomes Palestinian refugees fleeing violence in Iraq.
- Shining Path terrorist leader gunned down in shoot out with Peru's military.
- Bolivia rejects Peru's request to extradite Evo Morales' former advisor. Bolivia: Santa Cruz Voters Stand Firm-Against Morales and for Democracy. Morales backs campaign with Venezuelan checks.
- Colombian Female FARC member Calls on Others to Surrender. Colombia denies troops incursion.
- Brazil is certain of regional support to South American Defense Council.
- Mexican drug violence claims second-in-command for Morelos' state police.
- Argentina Farmers to Suspend Strike.