The Americas ReportJune 12, 2008Highlighted Story – "Can Mrs. Kirchner Last as the President of Argentina?" Main News –
- Argentine Supreme Court agrees to hear case on grain export taxes.
- Mexico: House Approves funds for Merida Initiative.
- Barack Obama says that Chávez is an "easily led" threat.
- Ecuador to open trade office in Iran.
- Venezuela launches first missile from a Sukhoi-30 warplane. Venezuela's Chavez Annuls Intelligence Decree. Chavez calls on FARC to "end armed struggle and release hostages." Chavez: no room for foreign investment in Venezuela. Foodstuffs up 15.9 percent in five months.
- Colombian army spots three US hostages. Colombia, Canada conclude negotiations for free trade deal
- Brazil's Embraer sells Super Tucano to US defense Service Company. Lula defends biofuels and attacks "absurd protectionism."
- "Disney Magic" cruise pays record Panama Canal toll.
- Peru deems it unfair Venezuela's military expenditure.
- Quiroga rebuts Chávez's "shameless" meddling in Bolivia. Bolivia protest targets US embassy.
(pdf - 290 kb)