The Americas Report
June 19, 2008
Highlighted Story -
"The Argentinian Crisis: The Beginning of the End of an Obsolete Regime."
This is the second of a three part series on the current crisis in Argentina.
Main News -
- Spontaneous rallies surprise Kirchner and acolytes. Argentina Government Rally Disrupts Banks, Flights Businesses. Argentine president sends farmers' tax bill to Congress. Farmers' conflict is costing Argentina 3.4 billion US dollars. Argentines' inflation expectations for next 12 months: 34.7%.
- Colombian government probes into reports on FARC leader's death. Brother of alleged drug lord extradited from Colombia.
- Bolivia closer to the sea: Chile grants free access in Iquique.
- NEWS FLASH: US accuses Venezuelan diplomat of working for Hezbollah. Venezuela faces the highest inflation in Latin America. ETA presence in Venezuela within the framework of Moratinos' visit. Chávez welcomes Paraguayan president-elect. Attorney General Office investigates into death of journalist. Alí Rodríguez Araque is the new Minister of Finance.
- Peru admits talks for US air facilities in the highlands.
- US Recalls Bolivia Envoy in Security Dispute.