The Americas Report
June 26, 2008
Highlighted Story -
"Soccer and Politics in Argentina: Mauricio Macri."
Main News -
Download report (pdf -350 kb)
- IMPORTANT: Hezbollah in Venezuela: Will the U.S. move?
- Interpol Executive Committee affirms report on Reyes' laptops.
- More than 25,000 Operation Miracle surgeries in Nicaragua.
- Colombia and Nicaragua clash at OAS meeting. Colombia Delays Resumption of Ties with Ecuador. McCain heads to Colombia and Mexico.
- Argentina's foreign debt surpasses US$127 billion. Argentine farmers end road blockade. Cristina among the three worst rated presidents. Spanish media blasts Kirchners "obscure political methods."
- Chavez sends gratitude to Russia's Putin for arms purchases. The US claims two Venezuelans cooperate with Hezbollah. Venezuela taking control of mines. Fighting inflation by reducing demand. Venezuela formalizes nationalization of cement industry. Over 30 associations join the campaign "Judge Chávez." Chávez threatens to stop oil sales to Europe. Moratinos offers help to Spaniards whose lands have been expropriated in Venezuela. Venezuela: Latin America's Richest?
- Paraguay's Senate blocks president's early exit.
- Ecuador assembly head quits in constitution rift.
- Bolivia's four richest provinces confirm greater autonomy. Governors snub Bolivia referendum.