The Americas Report
July 03. 2008
Highlighted Story -
"Saving El Salvador."
Main News -
- NEWS FLASH: COLOMBIAN MILITARY RESCUE: Colombian Military Frees Betancourt and 14 other hostages. Details of the daring rescue from the Latin American media. Betancourt: Chávez's mediation "significant?" but "respecting Colombian democracy." Uribe pushes for peace after hostage rescue. Rescued hostages arrive in United States.
- Caracas rejects US diplomat comment on amount of drugs passing through Venezuela. Imports are 7.8 percent cheaper than domestic goods. Pdvsa profits up 80 percent in March. Chávez: Agreement on Sidor is near.
- Venezuela denies role in attack in Bolivia.
- The US reactivates the Navy Fourth Fleet.
- McCain calls for 'Hemispheric" Trade Deal, During Trip to Colombia.
- Peruvian president tells Bolivia's Morales "to shut up."
- Argentine economy moving into an "agro-cooling" period.
- 35th Mercosur summit opens in Argentina to discuss global energy, food prices.
- Cuba Accuses US Diplomats of Encouraging Dissidents.