The Americas Report
July 10, 2008
Highlighted Story I – "Implications of the Colombian Hostage Rescue."
Highlighted Story II – "Thank you Mr. Uribe."
Main News –
- Chávez-Uribe meeting soon.
- Colombian Santos: "We know the whereabouts of guerrilla leaders." Captivity was hell, Betancourt tells CNN Larry King. Betancourt asks Uribe to accept help from anybody, even Chávez. Uribe should soften his tone with FARC: Betancourt. Colombian Military Uses Betancourt's Voice to Urge FARC to Disarm. Former hostage Luis Eladio Pérez leaves Colombia after death threats. Chávez talks with Ingrid Betancourt.
- US prosecutor ratifies Venezuelan govn't links to the suitcase scandal. Inflation climbs 15.1 percent in first half. Chávez to establish joint venture with Correa in Ecuador.
- El Salvador: Chavism threat reported.
- Ecuador's Correa seizes TV stations.
- Pdvsa drill begins searching for gas in Bolivia. Issuance of ID cards funded by Venezuela investigated in Bolivia.
- Argentine Court Upholds Legality of Grain Tax.
- Nicaragua's Ortega threatens opposition for 'conspiring' with US help.
- Peru: Some Farmers Strike over Trade.
- Six Charred Bodies Found in Tijuana as Drug Violence Escalates in Mexico.