The Americas Report
July 17, 2008
Highlighted Story -
"The New Battlefield in Latin America."
Main News -
- FARC says it was betrayed by its own men in military rescue.
- Peruvian Congress investigates irregularities in Mission Miracle.
- Brazilian Oil Workers Strike, Cutting Output by At Least 300,000 Barrels per Day.
- NEWS ALERT: Argentine Senate knocks out Kirchner's farm export tax. Spanish group definitively decided to abandon Argentina.
- Venezuela finances USD 6.54 million per day under Petrocaribe. CITGO grants 500,000 economical bulbs to the US poor. Chávez, Correa, Ortega kick off ambitious oil works. Fedecámaras forecasts inflation over 30 percent ending this year. Venezuelan Opposition Parties March to Protest Election Ban. Venezuela's Chavez to Visit Russia, Buy More Arms. Moscow confirms talks on Russian-Venezuelan bank.
- Nicaragua's Ortega says willing to talk to FARC.
- Costa Rica invited to join Petrocaribe.
- Venezuela gives 60 houses to Guatemalans hit by heavy rains.
- Conservative Piñera Leads Rivals in Chile.
Download Report ( pdf -264 kb)