The Americas Report
July 24, 2008
Highlighted Story -
"An Update on Iran's Activities in Latin America."
Main News -
• NEWS FLASH I: Venezuelan former Defense Minister reports assassination attempt. Venezuela confirms investigation of ex-defense minister. Download report( pdf - 359 kb)
• NEWS FLASH II: Chavez spends U$33 billion on regional influence. New Hampshire accepts cheap oil from Venezuela. Chávez arrives in Moscow to buy arms. Chávez: "Russian troops would be welcome in Venezuela." Chávez heads for Belarus to meet with his "friend" Lukashenko. Russia's Lukoil seeks energy deals with Venezuela.
• Ecuador looks to Iran and China in new oil refinery. Ecuador dismisses Venezuela's mediation in clashes with Colombia.
• NEWS FLASH III: When Mrs. Kirchner's resignation became a real option. Mrs. Kirchner cancels export tax; farmers' conflict "is over." Aides quit in Argentina tax crisis.
• FARC rejects peace talks and promises to fight on.
• Bush Makes Renewed Push for Colombia Free Trade Agreement. Colombian army kills 20 FARC terrorists in air raid.
• Russia May Send Military Aircraft Back to Cuba, Izvestiya Says.
• Chilean aide admits risk of loosing to conservatives.
• Colombia: Uribe clears the ground for a possible third mandate.
• Judge orders suspension of Bolivia referendum; government says it will go forward. Venezuela gives Bolivia four corn and plastics plants.
• Brazil: Petrobras workers preparing nationwide strike in August.