The Americas Report
July 31, 2008
Highlighted Story -
"Ingrid Betancourt: Sainted or Stockholmed?"
Main News -
Download report ( pdf - 340 kb)
- Leading FARC member killed by the Colombian Army. Colombia pursues extradition of FARC member from Venezuela. Colombian Paramilitaries Plead Guilty to US Drug Charges.
- Fidel Castro Praises Brother for Silence on Russian Bombers.
- Venezuela and Iran strengthen ties.
- Mercosur delegates to assess in Caracas political banning. Mayor López warns against great blow to democracy.
- Spain to use Venezuelan oil to secure reserves.Pdvsa to explore 12 hydrocarbons blocks in Bolivia.
- NEWS FLASH: Next Paraguayan Foreign Minister, Mr. Hamed with a diplomatic career in the Middle East, sees strong ties to Venezuela.
- NEWS FLASH: Ecuador says US troops must leave Manta air base. Ecuador's Assembly to give Correa broader powers, modify term limits.
- Argentina's Fernandez Popularity Falls to Record Low.
- Pinochet's daughter seeks office in Chile politics.
- Mexicans vote 'no' on oil reform in nonbinding referendum; turnout low.
- US Representative wants to meet with Chávez, Raúl Castro.
- Brazil's Petrobras launches first biofuel plant.