The Americas ReportAugust 15, 2008Highlighted Story -
Main News -
- "China's Control of the Panama Canal Revisited."'
Download report ( pdf - 370kb)
- Chávez wants subcontinent to be renamed Indo-America. President Chávez says that enacted laws are set to "equal" everybody. NEWS FLASH: Venezuelan intelligence allegedly gave Antonini USD 1 million. Attorney General should not take a political stance, says dissenter. Venezuelan government hikes regulated prices on some commodities. Chavez preparing the field for Nov state and city elections. SEE: Hugo's Arms Spree. SEE: The autocrat of Caracas.
- Argentina's official inflation: even most faithful misbelieve. Argentina: Exit Kirchners? Venezuela charges high interest rate on Argentina's bonds. Argentina to buy 2008/98 bonds to help calm market.
- Morales ratified but the political scenario stalemates. Bolivian Opposition Agrees to Meet With Morales.
- SEE: FARC Dissidents Assist Colombia.
- ALBA Nations Expand Cooperation.
- Mexico Confronts Violent Crime Wave.
- Paraguay, "a devastated country," says elected president.
- Mercosur concerned with growing surge of Chinese imports.
- US mayors worried about political ineligibility in Venezuela.
- SEE: Don't let Castros fool you.